Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Lunar Teaparty


"And so, I said to him, I hop you have a good day!" Kujo laughed heartily, taking a bite of the small carrot. Tsuki held a fluffy paw over her mouth and giggled. They chatted and giggled until the earth went down and the sun came up.

They say that when rabbits die they cross the rainbow bridge to the moon. They can always see the earth. Young and old, they frolic the vast vegetation of the moon, on the side we cannot see, of course. Here they spend eternity with all the other rabbits living in a place most merry.


Tsuki smiled a looked back at the Earth, remembering a time when she spent her days with her owner. Kujo saw this, and too stared up at the swirly orb of green and blue. And both knew they were loved.

This was my semester exam project for Art IV called "The Lunar Teaparty". Featured in this piece are Tsuki, the sweet little lop, and Kujo, the suave black satin.

Tsuki and Kujo were pet rabbits of mine who passed away. Kujo was my very first rabbit who broke through my dad's seemingly impervious "No Rabbits!" barrier. I did not know much about rabbits then but I knew that I loved him with all of my heart. Sadly this lack of knowledge led to his passing in May 2008.
Shortly after we drove to a breeder around Morris to a lop breeder. The woman brought out four small rabbits. I looked at them for a moment and almost immediately picked the tiny black and white doe who was trying to escape the box.

Tsuki was an adventure in herself. Because we had more rabbit proofed our house for her, we were able to let her out every night. I never knew a rabbit could be so hyper. Everyday she would hop around the house (She had domain over nearly every room downstairs). She would rub every shoe she could find, stare down the dogs, and tear up every paper should get her paws on. But, if I tried to pick her up she would give me the most evil death stare. It was so cute! I think the part I remember most about her are her giant fluffy feet. But early one September morning we found that she had passed.

In memory to these two sweethearts, I painted this personified portrait of them sitting on the moon, having a lovely tea party. My teacher loved it and gave me an 'A'. Its been on display in the 900 hallway since January. I'm very flattered and hope that I can take it home one of these days. Hopefully before I graduate.

On a different note, I have two netherland dwarves now; Cotton and Willow. They are very hyper, very cute, and can leap 50 feet in the air (not really, but it seems like it sometimes). And I hope that they will stay with me for a long time.

3 comments:

  1. come to my blog and get your button

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so in love with your rabbits and the Lunar Tea Party was fantastic. I never knew that rabbits lived on the dark side of the moon. How clever a story. And your painting...so cute...so WOW! and no wonder you got an A. So congratulations.

    By the way...I love your new site.
    Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete